





I had a list of 3 things to do today and blogging was one of them. I have started each day with many things I would like to get done and today I have come to the conclusion that no more than 3 items should be expected AND I am going to let myself off the hook if those 3 don't get done.
We are all settling into home life. Precious and exhausted moments seem to come almost simultaneously.
We are loving having the girls home. We are trying to build off of our NICU routine of feeding every 3 hrs. , but when I feed both girls that can sometimes take up to 1 hr. and 15 minutes (after diapers, bottle fixings etc.) and that puts me with just about another hour before we do it all over again. That makes for very long nights without sleep. Tasks that don't seem to be that difficult prove they are. I had no idea that changing bedding on a crib would bring me to tears. Those sheets are so tight! I have since improved with changing them as both girls have required sheet changing every day because of their reflux. So that's home X 4 nights X 2 girls, so 8 times to improve my bedding changing skills.
We have done a lot of firsts this week. First baths, Lola hated it and screamed the whole time. Lily didn't necessarily enjoy her bath, but tolerated it. The pretty girl screaming in the bath pictures is Lola. The pretty girl not screaming is Lily.
First pediatrician appointment also came and went on Friday. The appointment was at 3 p.m., so we began getting ready at 9 a.m. The logistics of getting there at a feeding time had me a little nervous, but we made it. I fed one girl in the car and the other in the Dr. office. Luckily, both Don and my mom were able to go. I am sure one of these days I will be able to take both of them by myself, but it seems like a very distant possibility.
I had never met our pediatrician before, but we all liked him very much. He even gave us his cell phone #, which I thought was so nice. He was very thorough and answered all our questions. He also showed us where to come into the Dr. office from now on that does not require us to mix with sick kiddos in their waiting room. He thinks we have a good shot of meeting the requirements for the RSV vaccine. Apparently, it is very expensive and you have to meet very specific requirements. But, if we do get the vaccine it could make us all alot more comfortable come cold/flu season. The vaccine won't prevent RSV, but would lessen its severity. If preemies get RSV, it is not good and we could wind back up in the hospital. Our pediatrician also agreed with our neonatalogist regarding limiting visitors and holding/touching the girls. He even said he wanted visitors limited until April when RSV season is over. This news was pretty hard to take. First of all, there are so many people I want to meet the girls. Second of all, after being limited with my ability to get out for so long while pregnant, it is hard to hear we are looking at another ~ 9 months of this kind of limitation. HOWEVER, the big picture is taking care of these precious angels and we will do EVERYTHING they tell us to in order to prevent unnecessary problems.
Good news from the Dr. appointment: both girls looked great and are continuing to gain weight. Lola is now up to 5 lbs. 14 oz. and 19 inches long. Lily is 5 lbs. 9 oz. and 18 inches long.
One big thank you to everyone who has helped us at such short notice over the past few days, especially our parents. I really want to thank my mom who spent the night last night and allowed me to get some sleep.
FUN FACTS FOR LILY:
LIKES: watching faces, big girl bottles (she has graduated to regular bottles vs. NICU bottles), Mom and Dad's voices
DISLIKES: being chilly
PERSONALITY: self soothes easy, patient, laid back
FUN FACTS FOR LOLA:
LIKES: pacifier, being held, Mom and Dad's voices
DISLIKES: taking turns :)
PERSONALITY: cuddley, theatrical
Please continue to pray for us and these angels. We will keep blogging, but probably not everyday.
Love, Mel



3 comments:
Considering my adjustment to having 2 kiddos, I'm not sure how you can even get 1 thing done on your list. Love the pics!!!
Kerri, Medina, and Ruby
I'm so glad that everything is working out! I know the sleep deprivation is hard at first but it will get better! We love you guys so much!
We love you all so much. Every time I read your blog, I cry. They are tears of total and complete happiness. The King Family wants to get to know Lily and Lola SOOOOOO badly, but we will wait as long as we have to if it means ensuring a lifetime of playing...
Thinking of you, sending positive thoughts and love your way every day...
Post a Comment