Gracie Sofia after bath
Gracie Sofia's first look at America Well we are finally home and I cannot tell you how good it is to be home. We had hoped to email/send pictures while we were in Guatemala, but we just never got it all to work and we had so little time. We are so glad Gracie Sofia is home and we are all safe.
Frankly, as far as the actual adoption business went, the trip was a disaster, but it is done and she is fine. It may take me another 3 years to get over some of what happened. Long story...
I am sure you are all wondering how Gracie Sofia is doing. And the short answer is absolutely fantastic for what all she has been through.
She calls me "Mama", ran to me in the airport, hugs us, loves my dad (who went on the trip with us), and loves Don (rode in his lap). She has kissed Lily and thinks she is a very messy eater (so true). She has given a toy to Lola. Lola and Lily are absolutely mesmerized with her.
Gracie Sofia is making huge strides even since we arrived last night with being around dogs for the first time.
She sings sweet songs frequently (in Spanish), loves to be held, loves to play jumping games with my dad, and has a great belly laugh that we have heard many times. She is eating some, but mostly goldfish crackers and chicken.
Sleep has been hard and she does have some sad moments, but is truly a very sweet child that has clearly been shown love, given rules and knows that we are to be her family.
She has already learned a few English words. Will say "Hello" when the phone rings. She says again, thank you, up, stand up.
Gracie Sofia is pottytrained (hooray!!!) and does very well with that. Loves to wash her hands.
I want to thank everyone for the absolutely incredible airport reception we had. I am so incredibly thankful for all of our friends and family and to live in this country and to have our daughter home where she can learn the true meaning of a family that loves her.
Love, Mel




7 comments:
Melanie!!!!! I am so very happy for you! I am so glad that you are home and Gracie is where she belongs! We love you ALL!!! Your whole FAMILY!!!!
Holy cow!!! I'm so happy for you guys! Gracie is absolutely beautiful and I'm glad she's doing so well. I can't wait to meet her whenever you think she's ready.
I am so sorry that the adoption part was so horrible....so glad to see her smiling face in your arms! Congrats (again)...I'm just so excited for you i've written it on facebook and here! :) potty trained? well, that is just awesome! please let me know if I can do anything to help...I hope to meet your girls soon!
Liz
I am so glad you are home and getting adjusted to your new large family:-) I can't wait until we can all get together!! Love you guys...congratulations!!!
My heart is sooo happy for you and for that precious little girl! What a wonderful gift you are giving her...a family! Praise God for such a blessing!!!
I am typically a lurker on your blog, but I have to post occasionally! I have so many things to say, but I'll bullet them for time purposes:
- I enjoyed my time with Lily and Lola while you were gone, but I'm so glad you're home with Gracie Sofia.
- I have actually dreamt of the moment you would bring Gracie home.
- I have been either crying or smiling nonstop for a week... I can't describe the emotions I have felt.
- I'll do anything to help with this transition... just say the word and we'll make it work!
- I love the Heffingtons and I'm so glad to call you my family and my friends.
Congratulations you guys! That's so awesome! She looks darling and happy. You are all so blessed to have each other. I have a friend from Guatemala, if you ever need to know something about their culture or need a translator or anything else...let me know and I'll see if she can help you. Jodi
Post a Comment