Just a quick update to keep you posted, will try pictures later if I have time.
Time is a very precious commodity these days and I seem to have less and less of it.
First of all, thanks so much to our wonderful family for all of your help this past week.
We literally could NOT have done this adjustment period without you. Or at least without me beginning to use illegal substances:)
Yesterday was quite possibly the hardest day Gracie has had yet. She woke up testing me for every little thing. I know this is appropriate for all 3 year olds, but I do feel she hit her wall and had had just about enough of hearing so much English and all the foreign things floating thru her brain. It was very hard on us all.
I had wanted to get her out yesterday, but wasn't sure after all the acting out if it was good or not. Finally after doing fairly well, she got to a point where I felt we could try an outing.
Don had to work and my mom had the babies, so Gracie and I went to Krispy Kreme for a "dulce" (I didn't know the Spanish for doughnut, so I went with "sweets/candy". It was just what we all needed. She watched the doughnuts being made and after a bit of coaxing did eat a chocolate sprinkle doughnut (after her dad's tastes) and drank chocolate milk. She even wore the goofy hat. Although I have laughed for years at the poor sap parents who wear those hats with their kiddos, I wore one too. She had a great time and just watched all the people. It was great because at that one time there were families of many different cultures and I thought what a sampling of America Gracie, take it all in! She was very, very careful not to get herself dirty which I wanted her to just be a kid and get dirty, but I appreciate so much her effort.
I pushed it a bit and went to Target because I have 3 kids and if I make it into a car I must go get groceries. Gracie did great there as well. We picked out some new clothes which she just loved doing (a girl after my own heart).
I had my first "Is she yours?" , but the person was just very interested and thought Gracie was super cute. Which I agree of course. (maybe not earlier that day however:0
When we got home she had a bit of a meltdown because she wanted to put her new clothes in her closet NOW!!! and not wash them. Because of all the testing earlier in the day, I felt I had to set the limit at that time( which maybe was wrong, but it was what I did). I continued to wash the clothes and she was not happy. We worked thru it by explaining clothes in washer, then dryer then Gracie's closet for tomorrow. My mom helped by looking up on our Spanish/English translator "put on tomorrow". You better believe that dryer was the first place she looked this AM and of course we followed thru with putting on her new clothes.
Clothes are a very big deal to Gracie. You can imagine why. She loves, loves, loves pretty clothes that are new.
This will seem pretty rambling, but I am hurrying to type it.
This AM much better so far, she did some Swifering and watched Shrek in Spanish (part of it anyway). She has eaten every meal today, where as yesterday even foods she liked she would have nothing to do with.
She has now petted both Matilda and Archie.
She loves to dance to disco (okay, I picked the music) and loves it when the babies go to sleep ( I am sure you know why, more individual attention!!).
All and all we are working thru the issues that are arising and I think she is the bravest person I have ever met. She does call me "Mama" and asks for me first thing in the morning and after nap if I am not in her room.
Another fun story from the other day was painting toenails. I set her up just like a pedicure and she thought that was fabulous. We finished with some glittery low heeled sandals of mine which she loved, loved, loved.
At night, she points to her head and says "mi pelo" meaning she wants me to rub her hair. She also moves my pillow close to hers and makes sure I am covered up.
Anyway, there it is and thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers.
Love, Mel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I'm glad you have the help you need to make it through the tough days. Hugs...
Those are great stories Mel! I am always that parent that wears the Krispy Kreme hat too!!
Post a Comment