Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Language

First, before I forget we are running way behind on returning phone calls and emails, but are reading/listening to them. It is just hard to find time when you can actually talk to someone without crying in the background or other baby/toddler excitement.

We are hanging in there, some moments better than others. Don and I said last night that we feel our biggest challenge is the language barrier. We always knew this would be hard, but it is really hard at times. The longer Gracie is with us, the more you can tell how developed her receptive language is in Spanish. Her expressive language in Spanish is also more developed than I initially realized, but carries with it a three year old quality. Also, sadly I don't think anyone had any time to work with language with her so she frequently does not finish a word, for example says "adio" and won't say the "s" or similar things. Much like an English speaking 3 year old, you don't always know what she is trying to say even if you do know the Spanish.

The language barrier is particularly difficult when you are trying to set limits. She is trying to find them and pushes them and us, so we are full boar into 3 year old behavior with a child who is adjusting to her new life and language.

She is starting to want to try and say the English for body parts etc. and is singing a few songs from playhouse Disney when I start them. (Those of you familiar with Soul Cho Cho train and equally "catchy" jingles :)
I have a fairly decent vocabulary in Spanish but have difficulty thinking on the spot to form a good sentence.
We have found a good internet quick reference that is on our "favorites" and have several friends available for help, but still in that moment when you need to effectively communicate to your 3 yr. old, it is tough on everyone.

We are looking into bilingual preschools and feel fortunate that there are actually at least 2 to choose from. Don and I feel we want her to get started ASAP to help her adjust, but also don't want her to get confused about home vs. school vs. orphanage. So, we are still trying to decide the best timeframe for beginning preschool for her and us and bonding etc. Also, we very much want to preserve her Spanish as much as we can, but again neither Don or I are fluent. However, both of us continue to learn and practice more every day so surely that will help with carryover.

She had a Dr. appt. yesterday and did very well. We ended the afternoon by going to the aquarium and she had a great time. She was really into the bigger things (otters, beavers, sharks) and the colorful fish. It was fun for us to just watch her take it all in. I watched her as she watched other kids with their families. I just can only imagine what she is thinking. I loved that she jumped right in there (after a bit of quiet observation) to touch the glass the fish/otters were behind.

Well, I had better go. I am hearing babies and still trying to get Gracie to go back to sleep after she woke up from a 10 minute nap. We need more than that, all of us!
Love, Mel

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

Glad she survived the dr's office. The language transition was easier with Medina because she had some basic reading abilities in Amharic and I could show her a word and she could figure out what I was trying to say. Hang in there. I bet one of the bilingual preschools will help a lot!

Liz said...

I don't know if you have said or not, but is there any kind of support group for adoptive parents in your situation? It sure would be nice to hear from parents that have gone through the same things you are experiencing and give you ideas....maybe one of the bilingual pre-schools can direct you to something like that....although I'm sure you have already thought of this..I just wish I could help/give advice that might help...Is there a speech pathologist in tulsa that works with bilingual children? When we lived in Nebraska I volunteered for a group that worked with the hispanic population tutoring, ESL, etc etc...I wonder if there is any kind of resource like that?