As some of you surely know by now, our two blessings have arrived. Lily and Lola were born on Tuesday, June 17th, 2008.
On Friday, June 13th I began to dilate and was placed on bedrest. My doctor sent me that afternoon to labor and delivery to be monitored for contractions. Apparently, I was having some and I never even felt them. My belly has been moving constantly since I was 15 weeks pregnant, so I may have had these contractions for awhile and never knew they were contractions. They sent me home as the contractions were pretty irregular. Then Sunday, June 15th at about 1:30 a.m. I had a contraction I felt. The doctor on call sent me back to labor and delivery to be monitored. While I was there, my contractions progressed and were about every 8 - 12 minutes apart. They gave me a shot to stop the contractions and it worked. They also gave me a shot of steriods to mature the babies' lungs in case I did deliver early. Monday, June 16th I went back to the doctor for my second and final shot of steriods.
No contractions all day Monday, until....
Tuesday at 1:40 a.m. I began more contractions. I had 4 strong ones that hour and then at 2:40 a.m. on the nose, my water broke. My doctor (whom I love) was on call (Thank God!) and back to labor and delivery we were sent. I was at the hospital at 3 a.m. and had my c-section by 6:30 a.m.
Lily Caroline arrived first at 6:30 a.m. I heard her cry and immediately felt relief. When the doctor held her over the sheet that separated us, I couldn't believe it. She was gorgeous! She then was immediately wisked away to a team of NICU nurses and our neonatologist.
Lola Elizabeth arrived just after her older sister at 6:31 a.m. A softer cry than Lily's, but still a cry came. The doctor held her over the sheet as well and it was also love at first sight. She then joined her sister with the NICU crew.
All together, there were 4 nurses for each baby, 1 neonatalogist, 1 OBGYN, 1 anesthesiologist, and 4 nurses for me. Of course, a very proud Dad was next to me the entire time.
Don was great and calm and the perfect partner.
I kept watching and waiting to see if the girls would have to intubated. To my amazement, they never did. I just kept praying the whole time. Our neonatologist looked over at us and smiled and said they looked really good. Good Apgars and smiling NICU nurses and doctors. The nurses let us have one last close look at both Lily and Lola and off they went to the NICU.
Lily weighed 3 lbs. and 7 oz. and was 16.5 inches long.
Lola weighed 3 lbs. and 13 oz. and was 16 inches long.
There was some confusion about Lola's birth weight, but it was 3 lbs. 13 oz. NOT 3 lbs. 8 oz.
Don and our parents and my sister were able to see the girls later that morning. I couldn't get up until after 6:30 that evening. Everyone just kept telling me how great they looked and still no vent. They did put the girls on a video that fed into my room, which was so nice. When I finally got to see them, it was so surreal. I couldn't believe these tiny beings were inside me just a day ago!
I stayed in the hospital until Saturday, June 21st. Leaving the girls was terrible, I didn't want to go. The rough estimates of how long they will be in the NICU are 5 - 7 weeks.
They never had to be put on a vent which was a major blessing. They both have been breathing on their own for several days now (did have high flow nasal cannulas to stimulate rhythm of breathing initially). IVs out yesterday. After an initial weight loss (like all babies), they are now gaining again. OT/PT both think they look great too.
Now, we are just waiting to get to 4 lbs. 8 oz., consistently keep body temperature (doing really well already with this, just need more practice) and learning to "nipple". The coordination of sucking, swallowing, and breathing needed to do bottle or breastfeeding doesn't really come along until 34 weeks. We turned 32 weeks Sunday, so still a bit to go.
Their second day of life I got to hold them for the first time. They call it "kangarooing" or skin to skin contact. Unbelievably, precious moments.
Their sixth day of life I got to "kangaroo" them both at the same time. It was crazy wonderful. Completely amazing to be reunited all at the same time. It was so great to see both of our girls together. I really like holding them both simultaneously. I feel like they must miss each other.
Lola has blonde hair and blue eyes. She is a pretty mellow baby and likes to lie on her belly. When she is lying on my chest in our "kangaroo" sessions, she tries to climb higher on my chest than Lily.
Lily has dark brown hair and blue eyes. She can be fiesty at times and loves to touch her little sister when we "kangaroo". She likes to keep her hands by her face.
We will be spending much time over the next few weeks in the NICU. We very much appreciate everyone's prayers, support and friendship with our journey to parenthood.
As you can imagine, we feel blessed beyond belief and are loving every minute spent with our baby girls.
Love to all, Mel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
We just want to let you know that we are SO happy for you both, words can not explain the joy we feel for you. I know that it has been a long journey to get to this point and I'm so glad you got here! You both are going to be WONDERFUL parents to these girls! I just know it! Congratulations again. We love you all 4 very much!
I read through this blog entry and cried through its entirety. Tears of joy. This entry is just more proof that you and Don will be great parents (and we didn't really need more proof of that).
Love to the Heffington Family of 4. Please let me know if you want some company one day for a little while in the NICU... I'd love to tag-along.
Don and Melanie,
I wanted to let you know how happy I am for you and how excited I am for the whole family. As everyone knows and I'll reiterate, you deserve this and I know someone who may have had a little something to do with the whole thing. I have no doubt you will be wonderful parents and are already. Enjoy and know that my family and I are thinking of you always.
Love,
Meredith
Post a Comment