Monday, January 5, 2009

Confessions of a Rube

I am feeling the need to purge myself of my pre-kiddo thoughts and attitudes of which some of you were undoubtedly subjected. I confess I thought I got it. I didn't.

First, let me say to those of you I burdened with my theories/thoughts/opinions about parenthood: you were certainly more kind than need be. Obviously, you could sense my incredible ignorance and surely laughed your buns off as soon as I left. I am truly sorry for anything said along the lines of "How I Would Do It".

Things I have learned in the past 6 months of babydom (I actually typed "babydoom" at first, Freud?):

1. The dog goes down the chain. Way down. Sure, they still get some loving and fed and all, but they are not the stars of the program any longer.

2. Sometimes there isn't enough time to work out. All my adult life I have worked out, ran, Pilates, yoga, kickboxing etc. etc. I just knew I would be the kind of mom who did it all. Made her own baby food just before she went out and did her maintenance 6 mile run. Hardly. I have started to count squats as picking my babies up off the floor.

3. Talking about your kids IS the absolute most important topic ever. Period. I am very sorry to any and all that I may have glazed over a bit while you described a new trick or antic of your little one. Because you see, now, I have been known to strike up a conversation in Target with complete strangers about my girls (who aren't even with me). I get it now.

4. Sleep and showers will never be the same. They are done as chores now, with one ear open.

5. Internal distractedness takes on another level. When I am away from my girls, I cannot complete full sentences. I am perpetually running back what I said to whoever is watching them, what needs to get done while I am out, what I am not doing at home because I am gone etc., etc.

6. Laundry takes on its own life. At first, it was just a few extra loads here and there. The smell of fresh laundry put lovingly away in my girls' drawers. Now, it is an unending mountain of stains that must be treated ASAP, blankets, bibs, clothes, tiny socks etc. etc. This of course does not even include my own or my hubby's (who is probably laughing when he reads this because I have given up on doing his laundry too).

7. You must have a vice. Be it chocolate, caffeine, Taco Bueno, the Biggest Loser, whatever. This is stressful stuff. Moments spent in sheer pleasure are needed.

And so there you have it, confessions of a novice Mommy about how I didn't get it and now am sort of. Getting it that is.

Love, Mel

3 comments:

The Salazar Family said...

Fun times, eh? Just so you have something to look forward to....My 5 & 6 year olds were in my bed hindering my sleep 4 of the last 6 nights. No, we don't condone this, but they sneak in...and by 3 am, I'm too tired to shove them out! :) Oh well...I finally threatened their precious little beings and told them they would not wake me up unless the house was on fire or they cut off an appendage! Then we had a 15 minute discussion on what qualify as appendages! HA! The joys of motherhood!!! Speaking of laundry...Just wait until they start trying on and playing with their OWN clothes and your laundry pile TRIPLES in size!!! The joys of what you have to look forward to!!! Love you lots Mel and I'm happy you are getting to experience life with your beautiful girls and Don!! It's all worth it when they run up and give you a big hug and tell you how much they love you!! Jess

Liz said...

very cute post...love the part about the dog...ours went from an inside dog to an outside dog overnight...he was in complete shock! It is so amazing what we all didn't know "before"....I have a friend who has a one year old...she tells me all sorts of things that she has learned and things that she thinks I should know...so cute..I just let her talk as if I don't know it already...ya know..since I have done it 4 times now ☺..
So true about needing a vice too! mine are all of the aforementioned! Wish you were closer so I could have a workout partner...or at least someone who I could swap kids with and we could work out separately! ☺

Hope all is well with you! talk to ya soon!
liz

veggiemom said...

LOL! So true!