Wednesday, July 2, 2008

3 p.m. Lattes with Lily and Lola












Today the girls and I had our first coffee date together. Everyday the girls get caffeine added to their breastmilk/formula at 3 p.m. to help regulate their heartbeats. We have been calling it their "latte". Those of you who know me or have ever worked with me know that I am a coffee drinker (except when pregnant). I decided to go to Starbucks and get myself a latte (decaf for now) and join in on their 3 p.m. "latte" via gavage feeding. The first picture is our 3 p.m. coffee date. Our fabulous nurse was instrumental in arranging this picture, thanks!
Lily and Lola both gained 20 grams last night. Lily is just 1 oz. from 4 lbs.! Lola is now 4 lbs., 3.1 oz.
Lily and Lola both continue to hold their own body temperature well. Lola is still in open air crib and Lily did not have to have her bed turned back on last night or at all today!
Lola tried "nippling" the bottle again today with our nurse. She did better than her last attempt and took in 10 mL. The second and third pictures show Lola with her bottle.
One other fun thing about Lola, I think I am detecting the first sign of body fat around her neck. I didn't really realize that baby fat rolls were missing until I saw one or two present today. Very exciting!
Lily is showing off her beautiful big eyes in the fourth picture. She is not quite ready to try the "nippling" thing yet, but sure is a cutie pie. Fifth picture shows Lily and Mom at noon feeding.
I believe it is starting to sink in to Don and I that we are finally parents and these are our children. Sometimes it is very surreal. We are so very happy and praise God that these miracles were born to us! We are incredibly thankful to all of the doctors and nurses who are taking care of our precious little ones. We are also so thankful to all the people who had a hand in our journey to this point. Thanks for the prayers, thoughts, friendship and support that surely carried us during the darker times. We love you all!
Love, Mel




2 comments:

The Salazar Family said...

I just love looking at the pictures of you, Don and the babies! I'm glad they keep getting better and better everyday! They are beautiful!

The Dutys said...

Lily is on her way to a open air crib! Almost there!!!! Way to go girlies!