THE Tinkerbell backpack, complete with Gracie's name
What a beauty!
Here she is with her sisters
Outside school, waiting for the bell
Just a little bit longer until school opens
One more by the tree
Gracie and Ms. LoreWell, preschool has begun. Gracie had her first day this past Wednesday. Gracie has been saying every day for two weeks that she is going to school "in TWO weeks". So, it finally rolled around to being "TWO weeks".
I thought I was so ready for this, but I was SO not. I woke up at 3 am the night before with a terrible lump in my throat, already sad for me and nervous for her. Gracie had been asking the entire "TWO weeks" if "Ninos go home" after school. It was really heartbreaking. I just knew that although she had to go, it was going to be a big test of trust for her. And also confusing.
That morning, Gracie was excited, yet nervous. I was so proud of her, she held it together well. She was beyond thrilled to finally get to use her Tinkerbell lunchbox and backpack. When we got to school, she had to tell me to stop holding her hand so tight because it was hurting. :)
She was appropriately clingy-but not too much. We made this storyboard sequence of pictures to help her understand that she would leave home (picture of home), ride in coche (picture of coche), go to school (picture of school), see Ms. Lore (picture of Gracie and Ms. Lore) and then Mama would come pick her up when she was finished (picture of Gracie and Mama AT home). I put it in her backpack and I really think it helped.
Gracie's teacher is a total doll and a native of Mexico. The preschool is bilingual Spanish/English and Gracie is already talking more in Spanish after two days. I am really excited about this next year for her, particularly the opportunities it gives her to use her Spanish.
As I left her the first day, I was bawling in the halls. I mean, complete nonsense- dig- down- deep- to- stop - it kind of blubbering. It was ridiculous. I shocked myself. School is only 3 days a week for 5 hrs. I guess it just really reminded me how quickly it all goes.
When I picked her up, she RAN to me, grabbed her things and headed for the door. She was totally exhausted, but "Ninos" did go home after all. It was the best. Of course I couldn't get anything out of her except "No like sleep, eyes shut tight". (there is a naptime at school).
Today she told me I was her "FAVORITE mama". That was about the best. She has been saying everything is her favorite: papa, phone, food, movie, book, etc. but had never mentioned me. She also told me that she "Like home" which was also just great.
We have had some rough luck around our house. My husband has had two surgeries in the past month and will be hospitalized for the next 4 - 6 weeks. We all miss him terribly and he is just sick that he is missing this fun stuff at home. Prayers, thoughts and good wishes appreciated.
Enjoy your weekend!
Love, Mel




3 comments:
So glad that Gracie loves pre-school and that Mommy is doing ok now:-) Praying for you guys!
oh she is beautiful. and that red outfit complete with sparkly red shoes is wonderful. she looks so little-girl-ish, all ready for the big day. yes, momma looks sad. funny how our emotions can surprise us.
Adorable... she looks excited :)
Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com
Post a Comment